Nobody wants an education about fighting dog cancer with nutritional supplements. But when we do find ourselves in Dog Cancer University, we can reduce our stress by sticking to the rule of three:
- Pick three types of nutritional supplements and dietary changes recommended by veterinary experts for dogs with cancer
- Discuss your research with your veterinarian or oncologist.
- Allow three months to determine if these changes have positive effects
This was our philosophy for helping Spirit Jerry fight canine osteosarcoma, and it worked well for us. One of the changes we implemented into his diet was the addition of edible mushrooms.
Mushroom Therapy for Dog Cancer Basics
According to “Dog Cancer Survival Guide” author Dr. Deminan Dressler:
“Certain kinds of mushrooms have immune boosting and anti-cancer effects. Some examples of these mushrooms include Shitake (yes, the same one we eat in Chinese restaurants), Maitake, Reishi, Cordyceps, Coriolus, Agaricus and Cordyceps. The good folks over at Aloha Medicinals have known about this forever. I spoke with Dr. John Holliday who spearheads their research a while back to get the lowdown on this very interesting area. Subsequently, I began using their products on my patients.
And I found they work. They extend life, slow progression, and keep life quality high in dog cancer patients beyond traditional care expectations.
They do this in three main ways. First, they are immune enhancing. Second, they stimulate the immune system. Lastly, they help with the toxic side effects of chemo and radiation.”
Dr. Dressler’s own blog post, “Fantastic fungus and dog cancer..medicinal mushrooms!?” has more information about how edible mushrooms help dogs fight cancer.
Which Mushroom Therapy is Right for Me?
We chose K9 Immunity to help Jerry fight cancer after he was chosen for a clinical trial, and saw a noticeable boost in his energy level soon after he began taking them, just after we learned he had lung metastasis. Other pawrents like Dr. Pam Wiltzius, Tripawds’ favorite vet, have used Health Concerns Power Mushrooms with great success:
“I would agree that I saw a definite boost in energy with both my cancer dogs within days of starting the mushrooms. Tazzie had a large patch of hair over her amputation site that had still not grown back even 6 months after her last chemo but a few weeks after starting the mushrooms her hair had completely regrown.
I wish I had heard about these sooner. My holistic vet recommended them and she uses them for all dogs instead of K9 Immunity because she thinks they are just as good and much cheaper. We did not use Transfer Factor although it probably wouldn’t hurt to add that. I think I am going to try my Dogue de Bordeaux on these mushrooms because he has chronic skin disease and maybe they will help.”
A few members have mentioned NK-9 from American Biosciences and Fungi Perfecti in our Discussion Forums, but we have heard fewer success stories about these canine cancer supplements.
Edible mushroom supplements vary in price and quality. But it’s hard know you’re getting what you paid for, and that the mushroom blend is safe for your dog’s current state of health. To help with your research, here is a summary of information we’ve compiled from the Tripawds Discussion Forums and this Nutrition blog. Some of these discussions haven’t been updated recently, so if you have experience with any of these mushroom supplements, please share your story in the topic.
Medicinal Mushrooms: General Information & Tripawd Experiences
- AHCC Cancer Therapies: NK-9, K9 Immunity, Power Mushrooms
- Artemisinin or K9 Immunity: Are You Taking Them?
- Magic Mushroom Recipes for Your Tripawd
- Lylee’s Anti-Cancer Diet Tips
- Osteosarcoma is No Match for Shiva’s Anti-Cancer Diet and Supplements
- Maggie’s Guide to Fighting Cancer
- Mika Shares Her Healthy Cancer Dog Supplements
- All Forums Search Results for “K9 Immunity”
- Anyone Know about K9 Immunity?
- New and Improved K9 Immunity Plus Immune System Support for Dogs with Cancer
- Jerry’s K9 Immunity Clinical Trial for Osteosarcoma Metastases
- K9 Immunity and Metronomic Cancer Therapy
- K9 Immunity and AHCC Cancer Therapies
- K9 Immunity Plus and Apocaps
- Eating Healthy: Power Mushrooms
- Eating Healthy: Immune Stimulant:Health Concerns Power Mushrooms
- Tripawds Nutrition Blog: Power Mushrooms Immune Boosting Supplement
Have medicinal mushrooms helped your Tripawd fight cancer and stay healthy? If so, contact us today so we can help you share your story here with others.
NOTE: We are not veterinarians. All information provided here is based only on our own experiences and those of other Tripawds members. Please consult your veterinary professional and do further research before implementing any new dietary regimen or supplements into your Tripawd’s cancer treatment plan.