Tripawd Rio’s healthy soup recipe is too good not to share with as many people as pawsible. We just love the ingredients (especially the tomatillos!).
“Okay, all, as promised, here’s my recipe for Rio’s Dog Soup. I should mention up front that this soup is different every time I make it. This is simply how I made it this time ’round.
RIO’S DOG SOUP
- 1 whole organic chicken (I use whatever meat is least expensive — beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, etc.)
- 3 lbs. chicken trimmings (my butcher’s dept does chicken trimmings and fat for broth)
- A few beef marrow bones and bison rib bones
Place in a large pot, and cover with water or broth. (The one I use is 24 qts). Allow to simmer until chicken falls from bones. Allow to cool, then remove meat, skin, etc. from bones and set aside.
Add 1 lb. liver or other organ meat (This can either be cooked in the pot with the chicken or in a separate pan with coconut oil for a little more flavor. Be forewarned, if you use kidneys, your entire house will stink!)
To the broth, add any veggies, coarsely chopped — this time, I had available:
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cups of white cabbage
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 cup snap peas
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium (I also had a couple of fresh tomatoes and several tomatillos from my garden, so I threw them in, too)
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
Allow veggies to cook in broth until softened, the puree mix with a hand blender. Once the vegetables have been finely chopped, add the meat back to the broth and bring back to a simmer. At this point, you can also add in 2 cans sardines or mackerel (in water, no salt added) mushed up a bit.
I ran this by my Quality Control Department……
Follow Rio’s Tripawd adventures at Rio’s Story, aTripawds Dog Blog!